Thursday, May 17, 2007

*A* show.

That's right. I'm down to *a* show, now that it has been reported that Veronica Mars got the axe. Granted, the show prolly never would have topped its stellar first season - or ever come up with another scene as brilliant (and disturbing) as that found in "Hot Dogs." Those wacky Echols and their wacky hospitality! (I note that at least Piz wised up and took the job at Pitchfork Media, so he is safe.)

But still, where has all my snappy dialogue gone? Gilmore Girls? Gone. Veronica Mars? Gone. The Mother of all Dialogue Shows, Now and For Fucking Ever, Deadwood? Gone. Firefly? Buffy? Northern Exposure? All long gone. And while I loves me some Battlestar Galactica, it (a) isn't really a dialogue show and, more importantly (b) won't be back until 2008. 2008!

I guess it is the best of all possible times to get rid of my television. And to go ahead and Netflix Wonderfalls, which I've held off watching in case of just such an emergency. Feel free to suggest any others, anyone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What is your one show? I love The Office (american version) and How I met your mother (renewed for the next season). Project runway has smart dialogue whenever Tim Gunn is nearby - and the judges are often quite witty. Weeds is awesome as well. Big love gets a lot of attention, but I don't have cable (will have to put it on my netflix list).

I like to watch and rewatch Wonderfalls too. I also loved the first season of Dead like me (by the same guy as wonderfalls) - the second season depressed me too much, and the lead got to be scarily thin.

Atalanta said...

My one show left is Battlestar Galactica, but it is on a long hiatus, so...
I've watched the American Office at some friend's house courtesy of their Tivo and did find them hilarious (I resisted for a long time, having been burned by the sheer depressingness of the British Office, which I tried on the recommendation of a friend living in Britain at the time - so painful, that show).
I have trouble, I think, making an effort for 1/2 hour shows, tending to wait, even for the ones I enjoy, for them to come out on video - they are so short - I can't plan an evening around them.
Clearly I share your adoration of Tim Gunn - who could not? He is perfection. I'll have to Netflix Dead Like Me and Weeds on your recommendation, and also How I Met Your Mother as soon as it is out on video - thanks for the recs!

Delia Christina said...

well, rumor has it that the new kelsey grammer and patricia heaton (whatever, raymond's wife) will have a sitcom on Fox about 2 anchors of a morning news show.

that should have some wit to it. hm. it is Fox, though.

and the new Deadwood-produced show on HBO, Bill from Cleveland, starts very soon! i mean, a spaceman who surfs! it's gotta be funny, right?

right?