Thursday, July 19, 2007

Strongly Worded Letter

Sent by me today to the NYT (letters@nytimes.com - feel free to send 'em more) upon learning that they published a review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows today. Thursday. Before it is released!

To whom it may concern;

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with your decision to publish a review of the Harry Potter book before it's publication date.

As I am sure you are well aware, to many of the fans, this isn't just another book; it is both a phenomenon and a shared experience. I am nearly 40 years old, and have been reading the books for 10 years now. I have eagerly anticipated each new release, I've read essays on theories regarding what might happen and discussed theories with my friends, I've scheduled time to reread the entire series to prepare for book seven. And, increasingly, I've been spending an absurd amount of energy avoiding spoilers.

Now that the book has shipped and there was a risk of spoilers becoming available thanks to dishonorable retailers willing to break their word and indulge in disgusting opportunism, I have had to take drastic steps. I do not go onto any unknown website. I avoid all website that might allow user comments. I am not listening to radio stations, and I am not watching television. In short, I have devised a miniscule list of those few media outlets I thought I could trust not to engage in the sort of 'haha - look what we found out!' tactics surrounding the last Harry Potter adventure.

Needless to say, my miniscule list of trusted media outlets originally included the New York Times.

Imagine my shock when I went on Mugglenet.com this morning - a website which is determined not to publish spoilers - and discovered that you have decided to publish a review of the book. I have, clearly, not read the review, and I have, also clearly, removed you from my list of trusted media outlets in this instance.

I'm frankly appalled that The Grey Lady, the paper of record, has taken this opportunistic, tabloid-worthy step, and I felt it necessary to write and express my displeasure.

2 comments:

Teri said...

AMEN!
Except for a stray apostrophe in the first line,
AMEN.

I was outraged when I saw it in my inbox this morning and have decided to delete my daily NYT email before opening it until I have read the book.

Atalanta said...

I have your book...