Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pathetic


I'm a fair-weather fan of Gilmore Girls, where the term 'fair-weather' carries the meaning 'the only thing I care about is getting Luke and Lor together'.

I gave up watching for much of Season 3 and 4 out of frustration - I quit watching when the Long Lost Daughter Break-Up appeared on the wall at the Thanksgiving show of Season 6. I'm recently returning to the fold (even when I don't watch, I keep up on past shows via Televisionwithoutpity reviews, and determine whether to watch or not by consulting the TWOP spoiler boards) with hope bright in my one-track heart.

The past two weeks have led to humiliating-in-retrospect episodes of me shouting at the TV - last week, I took the appearance of the troubadour as a sign of hope and burst out into near sobbing pleadings to the inanimate television to 'just make me happy!'

Then, last night, I watched intently during the car-shopping scene (which, of course, I knew about in advance thanks to TWOP) and then, figuring my JavaJunkie fix for the week was concluded at around minute 45, was bustling about the kitchen, cleaning up dinner dishes, with the tv running as mere background noise - when! Luke shows up at Lorelai's house!

Cut to me - streaking across the living room, shouting 'Luke' gleefully, and pouncing onto the couch. And that is only part of the disgusting display.

Yes (despite my best intentions and a week of reflection on the patheticness of watching a show in the hope that it will show me ONE plot event (I no longer care about Rory, who is just a spoiled rich kid at this point (although I'm always happy to see Paris)) I was reduced *again* to shouting at the screen 'make me happy! Just make me happy!' Problematic.

I should note, also, that I get trapped in canon - so alternate storylines? Fanfic, etc? Just don't work for me and so I can't get closure outside the show - I'm completely at the mercy of the writers and their cruel power. (Although, for some reason, I like the whole 'retelling' genre - see The Wide Sargasso Sea, Rosencranz and Guildenstern are Dead, The Eyre Affair, My Own Private Idaho - and I'm good with that - I'm not sure what the difference is, but, there it is).

No comments: