Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Random

While watching the new Harry Potter trailer, the thought went through my head 'I wish I looked like Helena Bonham Carter.' Then I got to thinking how odd it is that, despite really liking being a blonde with hazel (aka-yellow) eyes (witness the money spent to ensure that I remain the former, and my quick abandonment of the colored contact lenses that turned the later into perfectly nice green eyes) there are only two women I would really, really want to look like (as opposed to those I find pretty, beautiful, unique or attractive which is legion) and they are both versions of a gothic brunette - to wit, the aforementioned Ms. Bonham Carter (the fragile, fey, pretty goth) and Angelica Huston (the statuesque, imposing goth).

Don't know what it means - just thought it was interesting. I wonder if other people, if and when they contemplate people they would seriously like to look like, tend also to choose rather opposite types, or go more for glorified versions of their own type?

3 comments:

Delia Christina said...

hm.

i have two archetypes that i sometimes wish i looked like:
the flat as a board preppy (i.e., thandie newton) and then the whole curvy, tropical brown flower (i.e., salma hayek or jennifer lopez.)

hm. i also wish that i could tie a scarf like a french woman.

Atalanta said...

So you go for one that is a version of you, and one that is really not. Instersting.
(I'm trying to picture you clad head to toe in Ralph Lauren - the Martha's Vineyard collection - it is straining my brain, to say the least - I can't really even manage to get a mental picture of your usually snappily clad feet in a pair of docksiders...)

Delia Christina said...

i know.
i have no idea why i am consistently drawn to the idea of modified preppy (also manifested through my subscription to Domino and my obsession with Real Simple - thank you very much for the handy book at the garage sale.)

i am the least preppy person i know. i hate brooks brothers, i wouldn't know what to do with seersucker except laugh at it and if anything resembling khaki touches my bottom, said bottom looks yards wide.

i want to be a babe paley but can, unfortunately, only muster a half-hearted kanye.